Quick Information

Map of 2241 S Jefferson Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104-2237

Our parking lot is accessible behind the church from Armand or Shenandoah.

emmausstl@gmail.com

Resources

History

Emmaus Lutheran Church, which was an offshoot of Trinity Lutheran Church, was established as the “Jefferson Avenue Mission” in 1889. The mission’s first purpose was to serve school children in the Fox Park and McKinley Heights neighborhoods.

 

Although worship services also began in 1889, the congregation was not founded until 1894. A small two-story building was built that year, with the lower floor used as a school and the upper one as a chapel. Just two years later, an 1896 tornado unroofed the church and demolished an addition.

 

A rebuilt structure was then used for worship services until our present church building was dedicated in 1902 at Jefferson Avenue and Armand Place.

 

In 1926, a large school and parish building was completed at 2617 Shenandoah Avenue. It contains rooms for an eight grade school and an auditorium-gymnasium seating 1,000 people. Soon after the dedication of this structure, the church was mysteriously damaged by fire and services were held in the school auditorium during reconstruction.

 

Emmaus Lutheran School closed in 1974. Our school building is now home to Eagle College Prep School and Compass, their before/after school program.

 

Our church established a cemetery called “Pilgrim’s Rest” on Lemay Ferry Road in 1929. By 1934, the church membership had become one of the largest in the city. Since 1891, the church had been under the leadership of the Rev. Dr. Richard Kretschmar, a co-founder of KFUO radio in St. Louis.

church sketch